A Little Blessing

My name is Brandon Burditt. I was born with a bilaterral cleft lip and cleft palate. I had three surgeries in my first year of life; but that hasn't stopped me. Some say I am a little charmer; I love to cuddle, laugh, and play.
This is my journey...

Sunday, July 19, 2009

3rd Surgery: Palate repair


March 30th, 2009. Getting ready for surgery...again.

I was pretty entertaining.

The hospital let me play in their wagon to pass time.

Getting tired of waiting.




Mommy holding me after surgery. I was bleeding a lot. I didn't like when the nurses had to suction me.

Tube feeding post op. No bottles allowed again, only tube feeding for 10 days. The doctor said if it can't fit through the tube then I can't have it. I drank a lot of Pediasure. This was one way for mommy to break me from the bottle. After 10 days of this, mommy made me use sippy cups. (Nuby and Munchkin brand sippy cups with the clear silicone tops were the easiest for me to



use. I'm still not good at sucking)




Very disappointed that I had to have the arm splints on again for 10 days.



The doctor also required me to sleep on an incline or elevated in my car seat.

Waiting to get discharged from the hospital. We spent a day and a half here this time.





No matter how many surgeries I watch him go through, it never gets easier. I get better and better at packing for the hospital, finding ways to distract myself as I wait for the surgeon to come out and say "Everything went very well", and get used to sleeping in uncomfortable positions on the hard pull out sofas or upright in a rocking chair; but I hate watching my little guy go through this. As he gets older and more aware, it gets harder and harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment